Parties & Openings
November 30 - Monterey
Bidwell Colonial Thanksgiving
November 30 - Hillsdale
Neumann Fine Art Opening
November 23 - Hudson
Opera House Book Event
The 15 Most Memorable Parties of 2010
We go to a lot of parties, and what we remember most about any particular event is the sense of occasion—the feeling that you’ve had a one-night-only experience. Sometimes, it’s the location (Astor Courts, the Salisbury School boathouse or the old Great Barrington firehouse) or the weather (thunder & lighting or sparkling blue skies) or a celebrity guest (Rachel Maddow) that makes a party memorable. Certainly, there were dozens of great parties this year, and we apologize to those hosts, hostesses and party planners whose events are not on this list. If you want a comprehensive look at the year in review, click here to scan our Parties archive.
1. Berkshire Film & Media Commission Makes Movie Magic
Pittsfield’s Masonic Temple became a sound stage and the guests became stars.
2. Rhinebeck Farmers Market Dinner at Astor Courts
A harvest supper at the site of Chelsea Clinton’s wedding.
3. Word X Word Festival Party on the Roof
Pittsfield fulfills its promise as a hipster haven.
4. A Paeon to Industry at the Ferrin Gallery Dish and Dine
A stimulating, intimate evening with MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow
5. Bagels & Art for All at Bard’s Hessel Museum
A free kiddish luncheon—mimosas and lox!—crossed with an art opening.
6. A Rioutous Night in the Reading Room at the Lenox Library
Karen Lee and the Sugar Shack Burlesque create a hullabaloo.
7. Radioactive Bodega: IS 183 Post-Apocolytpic Dance Party
A winter’s costume party like no other.
8. Now It’s Summer! Tanglewood Opening Night Gala 2010
Glorious weather and glorious music.
9. Good Dog Foundation Square Dance
A haute hoedown at Carolyne Roehm’s equestrian center.
10. Williamstown Theatre Festival Opening Night
Dinner in a dance studio and an all-male production of Sondheim’s “Forum.”
11. Berkshire Grown Throws the Ultimate Nosh-a-Thon
The quintessential locavore feast.
12. TriArts Gala at the Salisbury School Boat House
There’s no better scenery than the Twin Lakes.
13. Art for Animals Benefit Rocks Club Helsinki Hudson
The region’s newest party space is sui generis.
14. Opening Night of 5th Berkshire International Film Festival
The old Great Barrington fire house gets the red carpet treatment.
15. Hammertown Barn’s 25th Anniversary Celebration
Proof that commerce, community and cocktails go hand-in-hand.