What’s Better Than Cheese and Crackers? Spicy-Cheesy Crackers
By Lisa Fielding of Secret Ingredients
Cheese and crackers are the perfect cocktail food. And the only thing better in my book are crispy, buttery, spicy cheese crackers. They melt in your mouth, look impressive on a serving tray and people will think you are a mad baker. The truth is, they are super easy to make and travel well so they double as the perfect hostess gift tucked into a decorative tin on a nest of colorful tissue. My only cautionary note is that once you start making these, it’s hard to stop and even harder to stop eating them. They are that good. Enjoy.
Yield: 3 dozen
10 ounces Gruyere or sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (almost 3 cups)
¾ cup salted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like extra spicy)
A few shakes of garlic powder (optional)
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1. Place cheese and butter in a food processor and pulse until completely blended. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until a dough comes together. It will be crumbly.
2. Turn the dough out onto a 16 inch piece of plastic wrap and shape it into a 1-inch-diameter log. Twist the ends of the plastic wrap to seal. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
4. Remove the dough from the refrigerator, unwrap, and place on a cutting board. Cut the log into ½ inch-thick slices and place ½- inch apart on the prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake until light golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and allow the crackers to cool completely. The crackers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Support Rural Intelligence
We have always kept Rural Intelligence free for all our readers but the reality is that we do need the support of readers like you. Did you like what you just read? Do you value the unique content Rural Intelligence provides? Please consider making a donation to support us. Even a small donation helps secure our future!Support Now